Scientist X-ray Crystallography at ZoBio in Leiden (NL)
ZoBio (www.zobio.com) was founded in 2004 and is located in Leiden, Netherlands. We offer innovative research services in the field of small-molecule drug discovery to the pharmaceutical and biotech industries. Our international team of 27 people covers four fields of expertise: Protein Engineering and Production, Assay Development and Screening, Structural Biology and Medicinal Chemistry.
We are currently looking to strengthen our team with an X-ray crystallographer with a track record in protein crystallography and a strong background in the X-ray crystallographic data analysis. In particular, experience in building and refinement of protein – small-molecule complexes would be extremely helpful.
The successful applicant will support our clients’ drug discovery programs by solving ligand-protein structures. You will work with minimal supervision but in a highly collaborative environment within the Structural Biology team and will effectively cooperate on a per-project basis with other research groups at ZoBio. This role requires working on multiple projects simultaneously and in a rapidly evolving environment. Team spirit and excellent organization and communication skills are essential.
- High-throughput crystallographic screening utilizing automation and robotics.
- High-throughput and -quality structure elucidation and interpretation of biological macromolecules in complexes with small molecules of interest.
- Utilization of X-ray crystallography pipelines with the aid of computational structural biology tools to aid the efficient structure elucidation of protein-ligand complexes.
- Report results to the Head of Crystallography and prepare presentations on the structural data for the project teams and clients.
- Maintain up-to-date understanding of the state-of-the-field in X-ray crystallography in relation to modern drug discovery challenges.
· PhD in relevant field with experience in an industrial or collaborative setting.
· Hands-on experience with ligand modelling into electron density maps and macromolecular model building and refinement in the context of Structure-Based Drug Discovery campaigns.
· Hands-on experience in solving challenging X-ray crystallography cases (e.g. ab initio structure solution).
· Experience with computational structural biology tools like ligand docking, virtual screening, molecular dynamics simulation would be considered as an advantage.
· Experience in scripting and programming would be considered as an advantage.
· Able to work in a team in a result-driven, goal-oriented environment.
It is fully expected that you will become a permanent and integral member of the ZoBio team, after an initial period of 12 months. Applicants at either the Senior Scientist or Scientist level will be considered.
A tailored remuneration package will be proposed in line with individual qualifications and experience. The position is immediately available; the evaluation and assessment of candidates will run until the position is filled but not later than November 1st 2020.
Please send your CV, motivation letter and names of potential referees at <firstname.lastname@example.org> with the subject: “Scientist position in X-ray Crystallography”.