1. Scientific area: Structural Biology, Biochemistry, Chemistry
2. Admission Requirements: The fellowship is dedicated to candidates holding a PhD in chemistry, biochemistry or related areas and experience in structural biology. It is mandatory that the candidate has proven knowhow in protein cloning, _expression_ and purification, crystallization, data collection, structure determination and model refinement. Preference will be given to candidates with experience in different _expression_ systems (bacterial, yeast, insect and mammalian) and biophysical methods for characterizing protein-ligand interactions. The candidate should be able to develop work autonomously.
3. Work Plan: During the time of the fellowship the candidate will be involved in _expression_, purification and crystallization of soluble proteins that are important targets for drug development. Biophysical methods will be applied to determine protein-ligand interaction and structure determination will be carried out in the presence of the best hits. Model analysis will allow rationalize the structural determinants that control ligand binding.
- Rules and Regulations::Law Nr. 40/2004, of 18th August altered and
republish by Decree-Law nº 202/2012 of August 27th (Scientific Research Fellow Statute) and altered by the Decree-Law nº233/2012 of October 29th and by the Law nº12/2013 of January 29th. Regulations for Advanced Training and Qualification of Human Resources, I.P in force (http://www.fct.pt/apoios/bolsas/docs/RegulamentoBolsasFCT2015.pdf).
- Working location and superviror: The work is to be carried out at the Departament of Chemistry, at Faculdade de Ciências e Tecnologia da Universidade NOVA de Lisboa (FCT-NOVA) under the scientific supervision of Dr. Teresa Santos-Silva.
- Fellowship duration: The fellowship will last for 12 months, scheduled to begin in December 2017. The scholarship contract may be renewed during the project.
- Salary and benefits: The amount of the fellowship corresponds to € 1.495, according to the table of values ??of grants awarded directly by FCT, I.P. in the country (http: // www.fct.pt/apoios/bolsas/valores), and the payment is made monthly by bank transfer.
- Selection methodology: The candidates will be evaluated according to their CV (40%) and proven lab experience (60%). In case of a tie, an interview will be requested and the final grade will be defined by the average of the evaluation of the CV (30%), proven lab experience (50%) and interview appreciation (20%).
- Jury members:
Teresa Santos Silva, PhD and PI of the project – president of the juri
Professor Maria Joao Romao; Catarina Coelho, PhD – effective juri
Ana Luisa Carvalho, PhD; Francisco Leisico, MSc – substitute juri
- Notification of Results: The final results of the evaluation will be publicized through a list sorted by ranking list, posted in a visible and public place of the Department of Chemistry of Faculdade de Ciências e Tecnologia da Universidade NOVA de Lisboa (FCT-NOVA), and all candidates being notified by email.
11. Application Procedure: Application from 21th of November to 5th of December of 2017.
Candidates should send by email the following documents in PDF format:
(a) motivation letter with a synopsis of the CV;
(b) Curriculum vitae (up to 4 pages);
(c) PhD certificate
(d) Name and contact of three persons for references
Applications should be sent to: email@example.com with the subject “Application to BPD fellowship – PTDC/QEQ-MED/1902/2014”.