I would like to alert the community to an opportunity at Merck Research Laboratories. Please do not respond directly to me, all applications must be done through the online system at the link below:
Membrane Protein Structural Scientist - Chemistry, Capabilities and Screening-RES001892
Merck Research Laboratories South San Francisco, a wholly owned subsidiary of Merck and Co., is focused on driving discovery research. Our new multi-disciplinary discovery research site offers state-of- the-art resources to explore the most promising science combined with Merck’s world-class R&D expertise in small molecules and biologics. Located within the heart of the Bay area’s biomedical community, research conducted in our new laboratories spans exploratory biology through early clinical development and is an integral part of Merck’s powerful world-class network of drug and vaccine discovery.
At Merck, we are inspired by the belief that a research-driven enterprise dedicated to scientific excellence can create medicines and vaccines that save and improve lives. Every employee is building on our proud legacy of scientific breakthrough. Our ability to impact the lives of patients worldwide depends on the integrity, creativity, humility and scientific acumen of our team. We are creating a diverse organization that is inspired by invention and founded on a culture of respect and collaboration. At Merck Research Labs South San Francisco, you'll have the opportunity to expand your knowledge and skills through collaboration with talented and dedicated colleagues while advancing your career.
This position will be based in West Point, PA for the first 12-18 months and then permanently transition to South San Francisco upon completion of construction of this new Merck site. The ability to accommodate these location requirements is essential.
This position within the Chemistry, Capabilities and Screening group at Merck Research Laboratories will support drug lead discovery and optimization through the experimental structural determination and interpretation of therapeutically important targets.
· The successful candidate will perform crystallization screening, crystal optimization, and structure determination of ligand complexes and will work in collaboration with medicinal and computational chemists
· Work closely with molecular biologists and protein biochemists and will have access to automated cloning, _expression_, and crystallization technologies as well as a variety of instrumentation for biophysical analyses
· Productive and collaborative interactions with other members of the global, cross-functional department
· Cooperative and collaborative use of internal expertise and resources will be essential to success
· The position requires active interaction with the external scientific community to continually improve scientific understanding, including presentations at national or international meetings
Responsibilities include and are not limited to the following:
· Support drug lead discovery and optimization through the determination of X-ray structures of therapeutically important targets with a focus on membrane proteins.
· Perform crystallization, crystal optimization, and structure determination of protein-ligand complexes to drive structure-based drug discovery
· Productive and collaborative interactions with other members of the cross-functional department, including medicinal and computational chemists, biochemists, and molecular biologists. Cooperative and collaborative use of internal expertise will be essential to success
· Active interaction with the scientific community to continually improve scientific understanding, including presentations at national or international meetings and publication in peer-reviewed journals
· Active participation in recruitment, training and development of scientific staff
· Periodic travel to other locations will be required
Consistently cited as an inspiring place to work, Merck employs talented people who discover, develop, manufacture, and market a wide range of vaccines and medicines to address unmet medical needs. Each of us is joined by an extraordinary sense of purpose bringing Merck’s finest achievements to people worldwide.
Education / Work Experience :
· Required: Ph.D. degree with a minimum of (8) years experience in Membrane Protein Structure Determination
· Minimum of (8) years experience in the application of Structural Biology to Industrial Drug Discovery
· Proven track record in the use of state-of-the-art membrane protein structural biology techniques, including all aspects of construct design and screening, _expression_ in mammalian and insect cell lines, purification, crystallization (including bicelles, LCP), and structure determination/analysis
· Demonstrated capability to design and execute X-ray crystallographic structure determination using all modern techniques, including molecular replacement and experimental phasing
· Experience with biophysical characterization methods (e.g. protein NMR, Biacore, Thermoflor) or functional properties (e.g. ligand binding, electrophysiology, and receptor modality)
· Strong publication record in the field of membrane protein structural biology
· Evidence of leadership in the training and mentoring of team members and project management
· Strong communication skills that enhance team-based progress. Application of those skills both within and outside the department to ensure the maximum understanding of program status for therapeutic area project teams and management
· Ability to work effectively within timelines
· Experience with cryo-EM techniques
· Experience in overseeing the work of other PhD level scientists
The quality of our team is essential to our success. We are creating a new and innovative approach to rewarding our employees and establishing a comprehensive value proposition. Our competitive compensation program and benefits are designed to support the wide range of goals, needs and lifestyles of our employees, and the people that matter the most in their lives. If you need an accommodation for the application process please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Merck & Co., Inc. Kenilworth, N.J., U.S.A. known as Merck in the United States and Canada, is a global health care leader with a diversified portfolio of prescription medicines, vaccines and animal health products. Today, we are building a new kind of healthcare company – one that is ready to help create a healthier future for us all.
Merck is an equal opportunity employer, Minority/Female/Disability/Veteran – proudly embracing diversity in all of its manifestations.
Stephen M. Soisson, Ph.D. | Director | Biochemical Engineering & Structure | Merck & Co
WP14-1105 | 215-652-6185 (Office) | 215-872-8210 (Cell) | email@example.com
Notice: This e-mail message, together with any attachments, contains