The Position- Senior Principal Scientist - Chemical Biology Roche China, Shanghai,
We are seeking a motivated and experienced scientist to lead our Biophysics/Biostructure/Protein chemistry Group in the department of Chemical Biology Department at Roche Innovation Center Shanghai. You will play leading roles in target validation, hit identification, hit validation and MoA study in drug discovery process. Your responsibilities include following fields:
· Lead a multidisciplinary functional group. Provide leadership and technical expertise in the areas of biophysics, biostructure and protein chemistry. Design and execute the strategy and plan for further development of the existing group. Recruit and train scientists and associates in experiment design, data management and analysis. Direct research scientists to ensure program efficiency.
· Deliver results with impact to project teams. Design and supervise protein chemistry efforts to support assay development and biostructure studies. Design and supervise biophysical and biostructural studies on molecular targets and mechanism of actions. Facilitate structure-based drug design and fragment-based drug discovery. Work with biologists, medicinal chemists and computational chemists to analyze structural information, understand the structure-function relationship of drug targets and address disease-related biological questions. Plan, supervise, multitask and direct projects to completion. Ensure timelines are met; communicate program objectives to cross-functional teams.
· Maintain high visibility for team and department. Act in the role of Chemical Biology Lead member of project teams. Provide critical leadership and steering to projects from the perspective of Chemical Biology. Build novel technologies in protein _expression_, purification, biophysics and biostructure. Actively direct research for opportunities to publish the results and strive for high impact opportunities.
You’re someone who wants to influence your own development. You’re looking for a company where you have the opportunity to pursue your interests across functions and geographies. Where a job title is not considered the final definition of who you are, but the starting point.
· Educational qualifications and Professional competence: Ph.D. in biochemistry, biophysics, structural biology or related field with at least 8 years pharmaceutic/biotech research experience. Proficient in the scientific and technical backgrounds of protein chemistry methods and biophysical methods such as crystallography, cryo-EM, LC-MS, SPR, ITC, DLS and MST. Knowledge in CADD or enzymology or immunology/inflammation is a strong plus.
· Demonstrated Team Leadership Competencies: Excellent organizational and communicational skills and ability to establish/maintain working relationship. Demonstrated strong ability to supervise several reports including Ph.D. and MS level scientists.
· Project leadership competencies: Excellent communication skills as well as an ability to work in a multi-function team. Demonstrated proven experience, and an innate sense of urgency, in managing projects. Ability to deal with multitasking, appreciation of priorities and critical factors.
The Position Senior scientist in Biophysics/Biostructure/Protein chemistry group in Chemical Biology Department at Roche Innovation Center Shanghai. We are seeking a motivated scientist in the area of protein chemistry and biophysics. You will play key roles in target validation, hit identification, hit validation and MoA study in drug discovery process. Your responsibilities include following fields:
· Coach and develop associates in experiment design, data management and analysis.
· Design, express, purify, and characterize proteins of therapeutic interest.
· Design and perform biophysical assays such as thermal shift assay, SPR and ITC studies as a part of integrated screening to characterize protein-ligand, protein-protein, protein-nucleic acid interactions.
· Involved in designing critical enzymatic assays to address mechanistic questions and facilitate hit qualification; involved in designing studies to translate in vitro enzymatic activity to cellular activity to drive SAR exploration.
· Oversee potential partnerships with external resources including CROs.
· PhD (or relevant experience) in protein chemistry, biochemistry, enzymology or biophysics with > 5 years of drug discovery experience. Experience in pharmaceutical or biotech company is preferred.
· Excellent publication and established track record.
· Solid knowledge and experience in _expression_ vector construction, multiple protein _expression_ systems and various purification techniques.
· Expertise in biophysical techniques including SEC-MALS, DLS, SPR, ITC and TSA, etc.
· A background in developing enzymatic assays including enzyme kinetic and thermodynamic mechanisms or deep understanding of protein LCMS techniques is a plus.
· Experience in biostructure elucidation to understand the structure-function relationship of drug targets and to address questions on molecular targets and mechanism of actions is a plus.
· Excellent presentation, writing and coaching skills among team members.
· Experience in program leadership is preferred: high level skills leading a drug discovery program to success, leveraging know-how & accountabilities from areas outside your own area of expertise and function.
· Ability to work in new directions, building new platforms or bringing in new methods/technologies in protein science and/or biophysics.
· Communicate effectively with project teams and internal and external groups.
At Roche, 91,700 people across 100 countries are pushing back the frontiers of healthcare. Working together, we’ve become one of the world’s leading research-focused healthcare groups. Our success is built on innovation, curiosity and diversity.
The Chemical Biology Department is part of Therapeutic Modalities (TMo) within Roche Pharma Research and Early Development (pRED). We deliver leading edge science to drive the success of Roche’s early pipeline discovery research activities through strong expertise in high throughput or focused screening platforms, DNA encoded library technology, translational protein science & enzymology/biophysics, phenotypic cell-based screening and stem cell platforms, biostructure determination and computationally assisted drug discovery. Our breadth of capabilities further enable or drive innovative approaches across small, medium and large molecule therapeutic & drug delivery modalities.
Senior Principal Scientist - Chemical Biology:
Protein Design & Structure, Chemical Biology
Roche Pharma Research & Early Development
Roche Innovation Center Shanghai
Roche R&D Center (China) Ltd
720 Cai Lun Road, Building 5
Pudong, Shanghai 201203
Tel: +86 21 28946888*6770
Confidentiality Note: This message is intended only for the use of the named recipient(s) and may contain confidential and/or proprietary information. If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender and delete this message. Any unauthorized use of the information contained in this message is prohibited.