I would like to bring to your attention the job opportunity outlined below. Please forward to anyone who might be interested in this 11-12 week internship at our West Point, PA, USA site (Req ID ADM008072).
IMPORTANT: Please do not reply to this email to apply. Use this link instead:
Kaspar Hollenstein | Biochemical Engineering and Structure | Merck & Co.
770 Sumneytown Pike | WP14-1114 | West Point, PA 19486
2017 Structural Sciences-Protein Sciences Internship:ADM008072
Merck & Co., Inc. Kenilworth, N.J., U.S.A. known as Merck in the United States and Canada, is a global health care leader with a diversified portfolio of prescription medicines, vaccines and animal health products. Today, we are building a new kind of healthcare company – one that is ready to help create a healthier future for all of us.
Our ability to excel depends on the integrity, knowledge, imagination, skill, diversity and teamwork of an individual like you. To this end, we strive to create an environment of mutual respect, encouragement and teamwork. As part of our global team, you’ll have the opportunity to collaborate with talented and dedicated colleagues while developing and expanding your career.
The Future Talent Program features internships that last 11-12 weeks and will include one or more projects. These opportunities in our Merck Research Labs (MRL) can provide you with great development and a chance to see if we are the right company for your long-term goals.
The Department of Chemical Capabilities and Screening within Merck Research Laboratories located in West Point, PA, is seeking an undergraduate summer intern. The intern will function as a fully-integrated member of a structural biology team, consisting of X-ray crystallographers, protein biochemists, and molecular biologists.
The job will involve development of a reference system for pre-crystallization and crystallization screening of membrane proteins. The intern will:
- Apply state-of-the art protein _expression_ and purification methods to generate membrane proteins and membrane protein complexes of sufficiently high quality for structural studies using X-ray crystallography. Day-to-day research will focus on using techniques in protein biochemistry and biophysics to purify and characterize these challenging to work with drug targets.
- Carry out protein production in prokaryotic and/or eukaryotic _expression_ systems, preparative protein purification, labeling, characterization using SDS-PAGE, spectroscopic and analytical chromatographic methods, pre-crystallization assays, and crystallization screening.
- Be responsible for accurate electronic notebook recording, safe laboratory practices, and presentation of data and their interpretation to a team of scientists.
- Attend departmental and team meetings to gain a wider perspective on the drug development process in the pharmaceutical industry.
We are seeking intern candidates with strong academic performance, communication skills, teamwork, and the ability to work in a cross-functional environment.
Location: West Point, PA
This is a full-time paid internship whereby a weekly stipend will be provided to the student. Housing subsidy is not available as part of this program, and if housing is required by student, it must be funded 100% by the student.
**Please note when applying for this position, if candidate is selected for an interview, applicant must be prepared to submit letters of recommendation and a brief research statement and a copy of transcript.
- Required: Currently pursuing a BA/BS degree in Biochemistry.
- Must have completed a minimum of (2) years of studies towards a BA/BS degree at time of internship in summer 2017.
- Must be returning to school in Fall 2017.
- Must be available for full-time employment for 11-12 weeks during the months of June to August 2017
- Significant interest in protein structure/function.
- Basic laboratory skills and research experience such as: molecular biology, protein _expression_ and purification, protein characterization using biochemical and biophysical techniques, and safe lab practices.
- GPA of 3.0 or higher
Our employees are the key to our company’s success. We demonstrate our commitment to our employees by offering a competitive and valuable rewards program. Our Company’s benefits are designed to support the wide range of goals, needs and lifestyles of our employees, and many of the people that matter the most in their lives. If you need an accommodation for the application process please email us at email@example.com
Search Firm Representatives Please Read Carefully:
Merck & Co., Inc. is not accepting unsolicited assistance from search firms for this employment opportunity. Please, no phone calls or emails. All resumes submitted by search firms to any employee at Merck via email, the Internet or in any form and/or method without a valid written search agreement in place for this position will be deemed the sole property of Merck. No fee will be paid in the event the candidate is hired by Merck as a result of the referral or through other means.
Visa sponsorship is not available for this position.
For more information about personal rights under Equal Employment Opportunity, visit:
EEOC GINA Supplement
Merck is an equal opportunity employer, Minority/Female/Disability/Veteran – proudly embracing diversity in all of its manifestations.
Primary Location: NA-US-PA-West Point
Other Locations: NA-US-NJ-Kenilworth
Job Type: Intern
Employee Status: Temporary
Number of Openings: 1
Relocation Provided: None
Company Trade Name:Merck
Nearest Major Market: Philadelphia
Job Segment: Chemistry, Biochemistry, Chemical Research, Pharmaceutical, Intern, Science, Engineering, Entry Level